It’s the season for tasty, fresh vegetable and whole grain salads. They can be prepared ahead of time which makes entertaining so much easier, and they taste better when they marinate in the dressing for a while.
Get creative with your vegetable and grain combinations. Add legumes for protein. Chick peas would go well with this salad.
- 6-7 ears of fresh corn on the cob
- 3 medium sized zucchini
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- Olive oil
- Red wine and rice vinegar
- 6-8 leaves of fresh basil
- Salt and pepper
- Cook 6-7 ears of corn for about 5 minutes in boiling water. Cut the corn off the cob.
- Cut the zucchini into a ¼-inch dice. Lightly coat it with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast in a 400-degree oven for about 15 minutes, or until just tender. Remove from oven and cool.
- Add the zucchini and corn to a mixing bowl. Be sure to scrape the bottom of the roasting pan to collect the extra olive oil as it has a wonderful flavor from the roasted zucchini.
- Slice a dozen cherry tomatoes in half lengthwise. Add to the salad and gently combine using a rubber spatula. This will prevent the zucchini from breaking up. Add a teaspoon of seasoned rice vinegar, a teaspoon of red wine vinegar, and salt and pepper, to taste. Add 6-8 leaves of fresh chopped basil.
- Allow it to sit at room temperature for a few hours before serving. You can make this ahead of time and store it in the fridge. Just be sure to bring it up to room temperature before serving, as it will taste much better. You may need to add a little bit more vinegar to bring out the flavor.